State Home Page
 Home   Contact Us   Email Us  
State of Alaska >  Division of Elections >  Voter Registration Information >  Military and Overseas Voters  >  Overseas Citizen  >  Residing Temporary Outside the U.S.  >  Registering to Vote, Updating Your Registration and/or Voting in Alaska

Registering to Vote, Updating Your Registration and/or Voting in Alaska

If you need to register to vote, update your voter registration record and/or would like to request an absentee ballot, you must complete an application and submit it to the Division of Elections. Alaska law does not provide for online voter registration and/or absentee ballot requests.

You may register to vote, update your registration information and/or request an absentee ballot using one of the following methods:

  • sending your completed application to the Division of Elections by mail, fax or email as an attached PDF, TIFF or JPG file (see completing the application below)
  • in person at any Division of Elections office; or
  • by another individual who the voter has signed a general power of attorney or special power of attorney authorizing the other individual to register the voter and request an absentee ballot. The individual must submit a copy of the power of attorney and a copy of his or her identification.

Initially Registering from Outside the State of Alaska

If you are not already registered to vote in Alaska and you are initially registering to vote from outside the state of Alaska, you must provide proof of Alaska residency by submitting a current copy of one of the documents with your voter registration application:

  • Alaska driver's license;
  • Alaska hunting or fishing license;
  • proof of Alaska student loan and college tuition showing Alaska as state of residency;
  • military leave and earning statement indicating Alaska as place of residence; or
  • proof of employment in Alaska indicating date of employment.

Your proof of Alaska residency must be in your name, it cannot be in the name of your spouse, parent or legal guardian.

Completing the Application

You may complete the absentee application through one of the two options listed below:

When completing the application, be sure to provide your Alaska residence address. You may maintain your Alaska residence address as it currently appears on your voting record. If you provide a new address, it must be within Alaska.

   Home   Webmaster   Site Map   Disclaimer